Not only is Shepherd's Watch a lovely winter drink, but it makes the most amazing brownies - especially when topped with Shepherd's Purse Fine Fettle frosting. Thanks to Yorkshire Wolds Cookery School for the recipe.
Shepherds Watch Brownies with Fine Fettle Frosting
For the brownies
125g (4 ½ oz) unsalted butter
150g (5 ½ oz) milk chocolate, chopped
100g (3 ½ oz) plain chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
100g (3 ½ oz) dark soft brown sugar
60 ml (2 floz) Shepherds watch beer
125g (4 ½ oz) plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
85g (3oz) pecans, broken into pieces
90g (3oz) white chocolate cut into large chunks
For the frosting
120g Fine fettle cheese at room temperature
1 tbsp milk
200g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas3. Line a 24x24cm tin with baking parchment
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Put the plain and milk chocolate with the butter in a large bowl, place over the boiling water, switch off the heat and and allow to melt
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light fluffy and creamy. Add the beer and whisk in thoroughly, followed by the melted chocolate and butter, beat in until all combined again.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into the eggs and fold in until thoroughly combined, then fold in the nuts and remaining white chocolate pieces.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared tin. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. The top should be firm but the inside should still feel soft, ie still have a slight wobble. It should still be gooey!.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the tin,
- To make the frosting, beat the fettle and milk together with an electric hand mixer until soft. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating now with a wooden spoon to avoid a volcanic storm. Beat vigorously until soft
- When the brownie has cooled, spread the icing over the top and cut the brownies into squares.
Share this post
- Tags: News